fredag, december 09, 2005

Immidiate family

The american fothographer Sally Mann captures her family in a beautiful melancholy in the book "Immidiate family". When I first opened the book I was struck with the frankness and openhearted clearity which follows the pictures like a thin red line. The pictures of her daughters and son (arranged or documentary) sometimes fills me with a sad realization of how the time passes by and in the end leaves us behind - alone with only memories. How amazing isn´t the photographic form - when it takes us back in time and recalls passed days. It is like the scent of my mothers pillow when I was a child or music from special moments of my life. This is the wonder of Sally Manns art. It is the emotion of hollowness combined with nostalgia and hope. Like the worn barns and farmhouses in Virginia, all bearing their history of summers filled with play and tears. Beautiful - yet so sad.